Your Learning Agreement
When planning your learning agreement, start by looking at the preliminary syllabuses for the academic year 2019-2020 by clicking on the Faculty links below.
When you choose courses, please pay attention to:
language of teaching
availability for exchange students
teaching periods: please select your courses so that they are not all organized during the same teaching period. Study year is divided into four periods. Autumn semester consists of periods I & II, spring semester consists of periods III & IV
restrictions: please see more below
The courses at the University of Helsinki are offered on three levels (Basic, Intermediate or Subject and Advanced). Some courses require previous studies in the subject/discipline in question. The following terminology will help you to find out if the course is suitable for you:
- Basic studies (or “perusopinnot” in Finnish, grundstudier in Swedish): Bachelor’s level courses, do not usually require previous studies in the subject.
- Subject studies or Intermediate studies (or “aineopinnot” in Finnish, ämnesstudier in Swedish): Bachelor’s level courses, intermediate level, require some previous studies, mainly for 2nd or 3rd year students of the subject.
- Advanced studies (or “syventävät opinnot” in Finnish, fördjupade studier in Swedish): Master’s level courses, for students who have completed a Bachelor’s degree or have the same level of knowledge.
Please note that depending on the course level, the programmes have the right to decide whether the student has enough previous studies to participate.
Restrictions in attending courses
In the majority of cases non-degree students (scholarship holders and exchange students) have non-restricted access to courses within their own subject and most of the other courses given in English, but some restrictions may apply.
If you are an exchange student coming under "Erasmus, Nordplus, SEMP or Faculty and unit bilateral agreement" programme:
- You should choose the majority of your courses from the faculty that has the exchange agreement with your home institution.
If you are an exchange student coming under "University bilateral agreement, Nordlys, ISEP, Erasmus University Wide or Erasmus global"
- you are required to choose the majority of their courses from one faculty and you can be only accepted by the Faculty closest to your educational background in order for you to do well during your exchange studies. Also note that you need to have sufficient prior academic background in the disciplines taught.
Please note that you may not be able to take all the courses you want. If there are mandatory courses which you need to take in order to graduate, we recommend that you would take them at your home university. It is strongly recommended to be flexible with your course selection because you may have to adjust your plans.
Courses from the following degree programmes are only available to that faculty's/degree programme's own exchange students:
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Faculty of Law
- Courses which have a code beginning with KIK-EN or ENG- = Bachelor's Programme in Languages (study track: English) and Master's Programme in English Studies
- Politics, Media and Communication, Global Political Communication
Language centre's English courses are not open to exchange students.
We are experiencing a high demand for some courses, especially at the Faculty of Educational Sciences and at the Faculty of Social Sciences. This means that you have to be aware that it may be difficult to fit on these courses.
Priority is usually given to those exchange students that are enrolled at the University of Helsinki in the degree programme offering the course.
Detailed information concerning the rights of exchange students and other non-degree students to participate in courses is best obtained from the degree programme's staff. Restrictions which are marked above are non-negotiable.
Links to course information
You can find lists of courses offered in 2019-2020 by clicking on the links below. For the course descriptions, please use the search function in Course search.
Language courses for all exchange students
Other study modules in English